Beginners Food Styling, Summer Food - Nottingham, Friday May 2017 date TBC
Date: Friday May 2017 - date TBC Time: 10am-5pm
Location: The Flour Mill Studio, 2 Upper Floor Derby Street, Beeston NG9 2LG
Price: £250 (includes all food to style, backgrounds, seasonal props, lunch and refreshments)
Event capacity: 6
We are developing a day long food styling course for beginners, aimed at new bloggers, bakers, makers and grafters just starting out with their food business. The first two will take place on a Friday and Saturday in May 2017 - dates TBC - in the meantime please email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a place or to be notified as soon as we release the tickets.
With the help of professional stylists you will style six summer foods or drinks (supplied by us) in your own style, putting your personal twist on the presentation, props and photography and honing your signature style to carry forward on your blog, instagram or website for a slick, cohesive feed of beautiful images that people will want to follow and revisit. Not only will you develop your skills and unique style with pros on hand for advice, but you will come away with a bank of professional quality images to use in your social media, website content and portfolio to launch your business or food styling career.
Shooting with natural light you will shoot on your own camera or phone, moving around each station shooting the different dishes throughout the day. Although there won't be any technical photography tuition you will be shown industry tips and tricks to create brilliant food images with basic photography equipment or phone cameras. If you aren't confident with your camera we would suggest having some tuition with that first or using your phone camera on this workshop.
Included in the price is our handbook - Honing your signature style for food styling - to help you work through what inspires you, what you naturally tend to surround yourself with in terms of colour, pattern, interiors etc, and what mood you want to convey through lighting and post editing/filters.
With this background work you will be ready to come to the workshop with the key props that you will continue to shoot with at home/work and a Style Board and Feed Design that will act like a creative brief and help keep your aims in mind.
Important: you must be confident using your own camera/phone in natural light - our photographer is on hand to help and advise but not to take shots or set up lighting on this occasion. A laptop to connect to to view your images and a tripod to mount your camera/phone allowing you to compose your shot in live view would be very beneficial as well.
What's included for each attendee:
- 6 summer food or drink dishes to style, prepared by our Michelin-trained chef and food stylist, Tom Cockerill
- A choice of Woodrow Studios backgrounds for each shot
- Extra table props to style with
- Seasonal flowers and fresh produce to add to your styling if you wish
- Our food styling kit and bag of tricks
- Help and advice on hand from a professional food stylist, prop stylist and photographer
- Lunch (plus refreshments throughout the day)
- FREE Honing your signature style for food styling worth £40
- A special food styling goodie bag to take home
What do you need to do?
- Book now! Spaces are very limited and we can only run these workshops a few times each year.
- Get comfy with your camera/phone plus your photography editing suite or apps
- Use our Honing your signature style for food styling to explore and perfect your unique style, select props and plan your social feeds or branding. (This will be emailed to you in good time for the course, it is being finalised as we speak/read/type.)
On the day you will need to bring-
- camera/phone - with lots of memory space and fully charged with spare batteries/charger cable
- your signature props
- wet wipes/kitchen roll/teatowels etc to clean props
- a basic stationery/craft kit with scissors, blutac, pen, paper etc
- change to park in the carpark opposite the studio!
- tripod, laptop and cable (optional but very desirable!)
Tom Cockerill - Michelin trained chef | food stylist | food writer
Sophie Purser - stylist | art director | digital marketer
Sian Hallam-Davis - commercial & food photographer | art director | studio director